Photo

Anyone concerned about the depreciation of the RS3 MK1?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

AudiRS3

AudiRS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Hi Folks, 

Took a friendly trip in to Audi recently to get some bits and bobs! They had an S3 Saloon in, DSG, Silver, Pan roof and it looks smart no doubt, I have never seen one up close, now naturally my next question, was that what does it drive like?

I didn't have a chance to take a demo they were offering, but long story short, up came the value of mine, I was being offered £21500 at Trade in, now I know Audi always make about 5K on cars, but I was really getting worried thinking that sh1t...my cars lost some serious money! 

Now what should I do? Trade in for a New S3 Saloon or a New RS3? Or wait for the New RS4? was looking at the value of a new RS3 and even after 4 years they were offering a GFMV of like £15K, as opposed to an S3 which was £21K. 

I am puzzled, but want to avoid losing further money if I can...

What do you boys think I should do?

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

How old is your car and what mileage? To be fair at 3 years old and 50k miles I got offered much the same trade which isn't too bad and add 2-3k for private over trade is less than 50% depreciation. If you look at Autotrader you can't get a decent spec, average mileage example for less that £25-26k (after haggling) which is therefore a £14-17k loss or around 40-45% depreciation. Not bad really.

The real sweet spot is when they stop depreciating so just depends if you want to hold on until then or trade up.

Edited by P_G, 21 December 2015 - 06:37 PM.

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

If you are really concerned about depreciation then a good low mileage second hand car could be the way to go  :)

Spaceman_RS3

Spaceman_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Account Removed
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationCentral Scotland
Mk2 RS3 gfv after 3 years is something like 25k and 23-24k after 4 years

marshy

marshy

Valued Club Member

• Account Removed
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • LocationDumfriesshire
Depreciation and future value very much depends on your annual mileage and where your selling to.

You should know by now anything your trying to sell is worth peanuts and anything they're trying to sell is worth the earth.
Not sure on your age and mileage but we buy any car still bid £24k for a 12 plate with 30k on.
If your worried about depreciation then please don't by a new one of any guise,

Sonnybo55

Sonnybo55

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
i agree with marshy, I also believe the 8p will not depreciate much more

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

i agree with marshy, I also believe the 8p will not depreciate much more

I agree that the 8p prices seem to be levelling out.
Good examples will be key to getting the best money though.

Not too many around with buckets or other options either.

Sent from Cyberdyne systems

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

My one is very well specced and low milage so I am hoping all ok in the future 

81llyh

81llyh

Blue! 🔵

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts
Do you guys think the mk1 will increase value in the future as it was a limited run production?

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

It is interesting to see the change in the 8P/8V split of cars for sale on Autotrader - a couple of months there were around 60 available in total split roughly 25P/35V but now there are over 100 split roughly 50/50. I guess it is not surprising that there are more 8V available as production increases and absorbs orders but does the increase in 8P for sale indicate more people are switching to the new model?

STRIKE EAGLE

STRIKE EAGLE

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNORTH WALES

The way I see it is this ,,, You have to decide if you want to own a car to use it as it was intended (in the case of the RS3 - driven and used as an `RS` !!) ,,or do you want to own it as a `trophy` car with next to no mileage and always clean and waxed! (no offence intended to detailers here).

On the other hand if you intend to buy a new car you will make a big loss as soon as you drive it out of the showroom , its a well known fact.

So if you intend to change it after a few years then its a more difficult task , less mileage and more polishing if you want a good price for it.

I have only ever purchased a `brand new car` once in my life time , a Peugeot 205 1.9GTI back in the eighties and I had it for 12 years!

These are now shifting for more than I got for mine ,, I deeply regret letting it go ,, should have kept it in the garage!

It will come to a point were the RS3 becomes a classic and prices will go up.

The problem with the RS3 is the fact that it is a very `usable vehicle` , its quit happy pottering around town as a family car but also comes alive and responds to `RS` driving on the `B` roads , so mine gets used every day and because its on the `B` roads of Snowdonia on a regular basis,its a waste of time polishing it up , don't get me wrong it gets a good clean once a week but due to the weather and terrain its a waste of time !!

Mine is a 61 plate... now with 28k on the clock and just on 30 grand when purchased nearly 2 years ago with 19.5k on it ,  `we buy any car` offered btn 21-24 grand for it a while ago so I dare say I would laugh in the face of a dealer against a new one !!

As said before I tend to hang on to my cars for a long time , don't really like new ones because of the loss factor , and I do not intend to preserve low mileage on mine.

There are a few nice examples now coming onto the secondhand market.

Hope I haven't offended anyone !!

Rs3owner

Rs3owner

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Do you guys think the mk1 will increase value in the future as it was a limited run production?

Was it really limited ?

I think way in the future they could go to and hover around 25k but I still think over the next 3-4 years it will drop around the 20k mark.

As for the comment about the s3 saloon it doesn't even compare to the RS3 mk1 and I had one as a courtesy car so it defiantly got tested .

But that was a manual version I suppose the dsg maybe a little better.

By the way the speaker engine noise is awful !

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
Initial 500, then an extra 250 were added for UK so 750 max.

I'm holding on to mine for the time being. Late model, well spec'd, and low mileage.

I really should consider moving house prior to my next car purchase, nothing else RS will fit in the garage, and at this time, I can't see a change to the MK2 on the cards.

RS3JET

RS3JET

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSouth

The mk1 will become a classic.

With UK numbers limited to 750, a good spec, condition and lowish milage  it will become highly sort after, and even one day may go back up in value I belive. 

A great classic in waiting

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge

"was looking at the value of a new RS3 and even after 4 years they were offering a GFMV of like £15K" LOL are there any Mk1's for sale at £15k?!

TX.

Nardo RS4

leehunt1964

leehunt1964

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationKent

This is my thoughts on this subject,

I believe the 8P will be worth more in the future than a 8V, it will take years but it will get there, you’ve only got to look at the current resale values of a low mileage, low owner good spec’d B5 RS4 compared to the B7 RS4, limited numbers is the key here and that’s something Audi doesn’t seem to do anymore.

scotexile

scotexile

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationIn Exile
I can't see there being that much in it between the 2 variants - the Mk 1 will reach the bottom of its depreciation curve sooner so will rebound faster. The size of that rebound will depend on number remaining, mileage & condition predominantly. The factor in the Mk 1 favour is the limited number - but they will have to be in good condition and reasonable mileage (relative to age).

That story is backed up by the RS4 example above - high mileage B7s are being hit fairly hard whilst the B5s out there are lower mileage, good condition examples and not many of them. However lower mileage B7s holding their own to an extent.

Summary - no magic wand on this; you will always lose on the capital expenditure of a brand new car; simple depreciation. Buy and sell at the right time on a used car, then you'll limit this (but bear in mind running costs of ownership).
Maintaining status quo is not an option

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

Mine is a good spec and lower than average mileage and i have agreed a trade-in value a little higher than the OP against my new car and even webuycarforanypricewelike.com offered a bag of sand more (but i know they will turn up and knock that back). And its going to Audi for valuation in January as dealer is thinking would like some RS stock... 

Like others I really believe that the 8P will end up slightly more valuable than the 8V in , say, 5 years based on its numbers (currently down to 740 ish i think) and its looks although its relatively aged tech might go against it (although by then its worth going aftermarket installs) 

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi Black Edition

Used to have a Condor Grey RS3 8P, and before that a further 47 assorted money pits

SK-RS3

SK-RS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
I got offered 26k by Audi at the beginning of the year for mine I'd think I'd snap their hands off for that now as I'm seriously considering upgrading to 8v as fallen out of love with my 8p not the cars fault but Audi.
I noticed that there's already 300 odd 8v registered already compared to the 740 ish of the 8p which makes me think he should come back up in value in a few years abit like the B7 RS4 has

AudiRS3

AudiRS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationLancashire

I can only hope it does improve, but my cars pretty much paid off now, only have about 2K on the finance left, but mine is well specced, I have every option other than buckets and sunroof. It is a 2012 plate with about 32K Miles and condition as you know with these cars has to be kept 100%!! 

I mean to be honest letting it go wouldn't be so bad for the newer generation, but I believe dealers are ultimately there just to screw you for as much money as possible. 

I think Scotexile is bang on the money! a lot of the initial depreciation has been lost on the RS3 and I do not think it will drop much further, but its amazing to see the price of 2011/12 S3 Sportbacks/ DSG variant still knocking around the £20K+

I am a fan of the rear end on this though  :wub:

16469853721_e3f54dbf2b_b.jpg

Choices Choices!

Edited by AudiRS3, 22 December 2015 - 10:29 AM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.