29 replies to this topic

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage

I got invited down to Blackburn Audi's RS3 launch today for a chance to take the Mk2 RS3 out for a test drive.

The interior feels very modern as it's been released so early in the "A3"'s life unlike the Mk1 where the cabin could possibly feel dated due too the Mk2 platform already being available. 

Sports seats are great and a nice compromise for those that wouldn't ever be interested in bucket seats although i have to say i'd really like to see them available on the list as i'd defiantly have ticked it.

This particular car hadn't the sports exhaust however the sound was perhaps a little tamer i thought over a stock Mk1 or was it perhaps i was used to 2nd cat bypass valves on mine.

We set off with a mix of motorway and country roads on the drive, The Mk2 is without doubt better in the higher range/speed areas where it feels a lot more gutsy than the Mk1 did.  I always felt the Mk1 lacked the urgency at bigger speeds where as in the Mk2 this feels less noticeable.

Brakes are much sharper although under very firm braking the car did tend to snake a little which i don't remember the Mk1 doing as much.

The car doesn't understeer like the Mk1 did and feels more stable/neutral in the corners in comparison but I guess a couple of big roundabouts would have been nice to test it on at speed just to find the limit. 

The ride is certainly better, Mag ride for me would be a must have option as the roads around where I live are less than forgiving with firm suspension and low profile tyres.

I can see the improvements over the Mk1 in looks and how the car drives and for me I feel Audi have certainly made a step in the right direction.

I'm not sure residuals will be as strong over a 3 year PCP deal as the Mk1 was due to the fact it's not a limited run car but again time will tell and it certainly wouldn't put me off buying one.

Is it better?   I think so,  The key factors being it felt quicker, Gear change is smoother and better handling.

well done Audi ! 

11393054_907787212618826_225710767805516

11401311_907787265952154_435700669803277

11401230_907787222618825_630963102077041

11535856_907787235952157_555783933560979

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

Kelza

Kelza

Elite Club Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCumbria
Great review :) 👍👍😄

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

I saw a Sepang blue one at Camberley Audi as I was passing this morning so popped in for a look. Just As I got out of the car a salesman took the car out. I could hear the exhaust long after the car disappeared, sounded like he was ragging it a lot. 5 mins later he returned so I had a chat. Apparently he wasn't in 'S' or Dynamic and didn't go above 50 MPH. I asked if it was the sports exhaust but he didn't know. The sound was epic so I suspect it might have been after reading MacD's comments on the car he drove. I had a good look around and I would say I wouldn't buy one as I still don't like the interior, especially in the light grey of this car BUT I want the following bits off of one on my 8P: Front brake callipers and disc's, Sports seats (felt really good), Steering wheel (smooth leather on the hand hold area's, thank christ as the perforated stuff on mine rips at your hands when really pressing on, and Alcantera top and bottom. Finally that exhaust sound. You have to hear it in the flesh. Recordings on uTube don't do it justice. 

So after coming home, straight on the web looking for a full non-res Milltek for mine. Shame there is no easy way to get the popping on overrun as well though. 

Edited by Duke3D, 13 June 2015 - 07:29 PM.

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Festering.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationCemetery Lane.
Garage View Garage
Good write up Steve as usual,the million dollar question is would you buy one?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

Nice review ... and Sepang suits the car I think although its no Nardo :) 

Do my eyes decieve me or is that yet another demonstrator with the grey interior ? 

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi Black Edition

Used to have a Condor Grey RS3 8P, and before that a further 47 assorted money pits

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I think the million dollar question Ben is.......

Did the Brakes make any noise

Sent from my iPhone using Brembo

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

I think there are going to be more Sepang ones than any other colour I recon ,it suits it well .

I wonder how long it will be before the first one gets a remap???

Gussman

Gussman

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationCaledonia............
Would appear Audi have also decided not to go Conti tyres this time round.......guess that's also helped the handling some what!

Yorrick

Yorrick

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationStockport, Cheshire

Yeah all the cars I've seen have Pirellis...anyone seen anything else?

In my garage:  RS3 8V Sepang blue, standard wheels and trim, SS seats in black/grey with grey headlining, comfort and sound, dynamic pack, dipping door mirror, no farting pack,  :D

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

P Zeros on the one I saw 

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I think there are going to be more Sepang ones than any other colour I recon ,it suits it well .

Or the first prop shaft breakage

Sent from my iPhone using Brembo

RSLAD

RSLAD

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUnder Your bed
P zeros are pirellis mate

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
I am liking that colour a lot... So much so that mine will be the same. Roll on November...

:blue: ​    Sepang Blue 8V RS3. Loud Exhaust. Loud Music. Louder Interior. Quiet Exterior.

hullrs3

hullrs3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationHull

Or how long it will be for the first one to get lipstick?

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage

No as i'm very happy with the RS4 to be honest,  If i had the Mk1 and was looking to change then i'd consider it yes.

Brakes were silent but then so were mine until they bedded in.  

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

Pat

Pat

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationStaffs/Cheshire border
Overrun can be factored into a re map by someone that can and dare customise it

Ironside

Ironside

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Looked around one at Maidstone Audi the other day, but not driven it. Visually it's lost the aggressive stance the Mk1 got from the wider front track and flared arches, and looks too much like an S-Line model for me. The sound is nice (think this one had the sports exhaust) but I'd have to drive it to check for droning. I'm not a massive fan of the interior on the Mk2, it's more modern yeah but feels a bit flimsier. Having driven other A3s I can well believe the improved handling, the new chassis is excellent. I just don't see how it being worth the £15-20k upgrade price. Think I'd be more tempted going elsewhere (e.g. BMW M2) for that kind of money, to feel like I'm getting something different.

josedebardi

josedebardi

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • LocationDorset, UK

Looked around one at Maidstone Audi the other day, but not driven it. Visually it's lost the aggressive stance the Mk1 got from the wider front track and flared arches, and looks too much like an S-Line model for me. The sound is nice (think this one had the sports exhaust) but I'd have to drive it to check for droning. I'm not a massive fan of the interior on the Mk2, it's more modern yeah but feels a bit flimsier. Having driven other A3s I can well believe the improved handling, the new chassis is excellent. I just don't see how it being worth the £15-20k upgrade price. Think I'd be more tempted going elsewhere (e.g. BMW M2) for that kind of money, to feel like I'm getting something different.

I tried it in Comfort Mode for about 500 yards to check for drone, it was totally silent. And the car I drove had mag ride - it really made a big difference between modes as well.

Audi RS3 Panther Black with all the options expect the Pano Roof

395556.png
VCDS Genuine Rosstech USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM if you want any coding/mods done in Dorset in exchange for beer/money

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Those black Calipers look the business.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

yes i know PZeros are Pirellis ,,, thanks very much 

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.